Steps to Prevent a Fire
Our experts at SERVPRO of Central Oklahoma City are trained to be faster to any disaster, and to restore fire damage "Like it never even happened." You know we’re always a phone call away.
With that said, however, there are still a number of easy steps you can take around your home or commercial property to mitigate the risk of a fire before it happens. Take a look:
Check Your Smoke Detectors
Be sure to regularly check the fire detectors throughout your home or property to ensure they have working batteries and are operating properly. You can do this fairly easily by pressing the little button on your smoke detectors. If the alarm is loud and striking, that means it’s working properly. If the sound is weak and faint, or, worse yet, there’s no sound at all, then that means you’re in need of a battery change.
Regularly Clean The Lint Trap in Your Dryer
It can be easy to forget, but when lint backs up in your dryer it can create a dangerous fire hazard. Every so often it’s also a good idea to check behind your dryer to ensure no lint or articles of clothing have fallen back there and created a fire risk.
Clean Your Stove and Oven
One of the leading causes of stove or oven fires are food bits left behind from past meals that can combust the next time you’re cooking, so it’s important to clean your stove and oven regularly to ensure there’s nothing that could suddenly spark a kitchen fire. In that same line of thinking, be sure to always make sure things like towels or oven mitts are far enough away from your stove and/or oven that they won’t accidentally catch on fire.
And be sure to never leave the kitchen while cooking, because a fire can start quickly and can escalate even faster if you’re not there to take action right away. Remember that attacking grease fires will only further feed the flames, and that the best way to subdue a grease fire is to cover it and trap it.
Keep a Fire Extinguisher In Your Home or Property
You never know when you might need it, but when you do you’ll be glad you have it. Keep it somewhere that’s both safe and easily accessible in the event of an emergency, and be sure you and/or someone in your home or commercial property is properly trained to use a fire extinguisher.
Call Us If you Need Us
If you do sustain fire damage, give us a call 24/7 at 405-252-9400 to speak with our experts and have a team dispatched to your home or property.