What is Water Damage Insurance?
Water damage is insurance money that is paid out when your house is affected by water damage. It helps deal with the pairs. While SERVPRO of Central Oklahoma City comes in and helps restore your home, insurance companies ensure there are enough funds for the home restoration.
Situations Where Water Damage Insurance Works
There are situations where insurance companies will pay for the damages caused to your home. Here are the situations when your insurance will pay for your water damage:
- Accidental leaks- Insurance will take care of leaks from pipes and broken washers that cause water damage.
- Burst pipes- Water damage from burst pipes due to frozen pipes and any other incident will be covered
- Damage from fires- If the water was used to put out a fire and caused damage to your property, the damage will be insured.
- Roof leaks- If there was water damage to the interior of your house because of a roof leak, that would be catered to by insurance. The only thing you need to ensure is the leak was not caused by a fallen tree or a caved-in roof that was not fixed.
- Water damage from storms like heavy and sudden rain,
- Ice dam- Insurance will cover ice dams built in your gutter in cold months. If these ice dams result from neglect, you will not get them fixed.
Situations When Water Damage Will Not be Covered by Insurance
There are also times when your insurance will not work for water damage. Knowing about these will help you be careful with the care you give your home and figure out when you can rely on insurance and when to deal with it independently. Here are the situations where insurance will not cover water damage:
- Flood damage. Any damage caused by extreme flooding will not be covered
- Water damage is caused by negligence or lack of maintenance. If your home gets water damaged because you did not fix leaks when they occurred or did not carry out regular checks, then this will not be covered
- Damage for intentional acts. If you set your ho on fire or turn off the heat in winter, then you will not be compensated for whatever damage
- Water damage from backup sewer lines. You need to get a proper cover for that
- Cost of repairing source. No compensation will be given for a broken heater or washer.