Protect Yourself from CO When Winter Storms Happen
Carbon monoxide is a gas you cannot see, taste or smell. According to ready.gov, an average of 430 Americans die each year from unintentional carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning. Often times, it is the result of faulty, improperly used/vented consumer products like furnaces, ranges, water heaters, room heaters, and engine-powered equipment (such as portable generators). However, there are precautions you can take to help protect yourself, your family, and your employees from deadly CO fumes. Reduce the chance of CO exposure in your home by performing regular maintenance on equipment and appliances that can produce CO. Install carbon monoxide detectors on every level of the home, including outside of all bedrooms. Consider having all fuel burning heating equipment and chimneys serviced annually by a professional. Use portable generators only in well ventilated areas away from doors, windows, vents, and any other openings to prevent fumes from entering the home.
For additional CO safety information, visit usfa.fema.gov or osha.gov.